1.2 Role of Human Resources Manager in an emergency
The role of the Human Resources (HR) Manager in an emergency is to:
- participate in operational planning to help identify staffing needs for the response
- recruit or mobilise international staff with the right mix of experience, skills and knowledge
- manage large-scale national staff recruitment
- support the safety and well-being of emergency staff, given the increased risks of an emergency environment
- implement HR policy and systems to meet operational requirements and local laws.
Not all COs will have an existing Human Resources Manager or focal point on staff. In a large emergency, it is essential that there is at least one dedicated Human Resources Manager in the team, and a specific Emergency HR Manager may need to be appointed. In a very large emergency, additional HR support staff will also be required. Remote assistance and advice can also be sought from the CI Surge Capacity Coordinator.
Annex 21.1 CI_RED terms of reference (TORs) Country Office human resources management and administration (in-country)
Annex 21.2 Country Office HR Manager job description sample 1
Annex 21.3 Country Office HR Manager job description sample
Annex 21.4 CHS Alliance available resources