2. Critical steps in assessment
- Begin preparing for assessment immediately after the emergency alert.
- Develop a clear assessment plan and methodology.
- Consider appropriate team composition (for example, gender balanced, multi-agency and inclusion of disaster-affected population).
- Ensure that the assessment team has agreed terms of reference and identify the geographic focus of field assessment.
- Confirm that adequate logistics and administrative planning has been done to ensure safety and effectiveness of the team.
- Plan and identify priority information needs, and data collection methods and tools.
- Ensure participation of the affected communities in the assessment process.
- Collect and analyse data from a range of sources.
- Develop clear recommendations for how CARE should respond to the emergency.
- Document and share assessment findings within CARE and with external stakeholders