6.4 Security and safety precautions for rented premises
When renting new premises, it is critical to review security and safety hazards. The following guidelines can help ensure that guidelines are met:
- Locks-Replace existing locks for the main, rear and side doors. Make adequate duplicate keys as required. Prepare a key distribution list and have a master set stored in a secure place.
- Fire extinguishers-Install both dry and wet fire extinguishers in easily visible and accessible places.
- Security lighting-Install bright security lights at key vantage points (such as the driveway, parking area, entrance, rear door and side doors)
- Emergency lighting-Procure an adequate number of emergency lamps, flash lights and candles, and store in easily accessible places.
- First aid kits-Each office must have an easily accessible, well-stocked first aid kit.
- Safe-Install in a secure place for storing cash and important documents.
- Generator-Install a generator as soon as possible, according to need.
- Fuel-Do not store fuel close to the premises.
- Security guards-Recruit an adequate number of security guards for both day and night duty.
- Smoke an carbon monoxide detector installed.
See also Chapter 14 Safety and security.