7. Hardware support and maintenance
- Put in place an asset management and control system for telecommunications and IT hardware.
- Ensure regular maintenance and risk management.
- Make sure new staff is equipped, and departing staff return equipment.
- The Telecommunications Officer and the IT Officer need to keep an inventory of all equipment purchased and to whom it was distributed.
- All equipment should be signed for when it is issued.
- All staff should receive clearance from the Telecommunications and IT Officer to confirm that all equipment issued has been returned before staff departure.
- Equipment should only be transferred between different team members by advising the IT Officer and providing a note signed by the responsible staff.
- Good quality equipment will reduce the risk of failure and will greatly help emergency staff in their jobs.
- Staff must be made aware of potential risks of losing equipment and the need to be careful with using and leaving their equipment at potentially unsafe places.
- Data back-ups need to be regularly taken and stored. A copy in the office and another copy need to be stored at another location in case of burglary or fire.
- The Telecommunications and Officer are responsible for ensuring that sufficient equipment is available for new emergency staff members as they arrive at the emergency.
- Purchase arrangements of PCs, radios, telephones and back-up devices such as USB flash drives need to be pre-planned to minimise delays when staff arrive.
Make a record of all equipment distributed to staff. See section 7.1: Asset management and control