5. When and where to get specialist help

A specialist should be sought when the CO does not have adequate technical capacity in its team to be able to meet the HIV/AIDS needs of the emergency. International technical expertise can be requested through the CERT mechanism (refer to the chapter on Human resources).

Remote technical support and advice is available from the Senior Sexual and Reproductive Health/HIV Advisor in Emergencies, based at CARE International in Geneva and the Technical Advisor based with CARE USA (contact details at the start of this chapter).