1. Role of human resource management in an emergency
In an emergency you need to mobilise or recruit many people. Human resource (HR) management is vital. It ensures that CARE has enough capacity to respond. Lessons learned show that the operation’s success depends on having the right staff at the right time. That means also having the right human resource management staff, skills, policies and support.
|CO Human Resource Manager||Coordinate mobilisation and recruitment of personnel at the CO level, and develop and implement HR policy and processes.|
|Country Director||Maintain approval authority for appointment of personnel and HR policies.|
|Lead Member HR Unit||Maintain primary support role to CO in recruiting international staff and provide guidance to CO on HR policy and processes.|
|CI Surge Capacity Coordinator||Coordinate human resource mobilisation for emergencies at CARE International level.|
Refer also to Protocol D3 Emergency personnel mobilisation .
The role of the Country Office Human Resources (HR) Manager in an emergency is to:
- participate in operational planning to help identify staffing needs for the response
- manage large-scale recruitment of national staff
- work with the CEG Surge Capacity Coordinator to mobilise short-term international staff with the right mix of experience, skills and knowledge
- work with the Lead Member HR representative to recruit international staff for the longer term
- support the safety and well-being of emergency staff, given the increased risks of an emergency environment
- implement emergency HR policies and systems to meet changing operational requirements and local laws.
Not all COs will have an existing Human Resources Manager or focal point on staff. In a large emergency, it is essential that there is at least one dedicated Human Resources Manager in the team, and a specific Emergency HR Manager may need to be appointed. In a very large emergency, additional HR support staff will also be required. Remote assistance and advice can also be sought from the CI Surge Capacity Coordinator and Lead Member HR teams.
Annex 21.1 CI_RED terms of reference (TORs) Country Office human resources management and administration (in-country)
Annex 21.2 Country Office HR Manager job description sample 1
Annex 21.3 Country Office HR Manager job description sample
Annex 21.4 CHS Alliance available resources