1.2.3 Functions of key procurement staff
The procurement unit should include a Procurement Manager and Procurement Officers. The number of Procurement Officers should be appropriate to the scale of the response (refer to section 1.2.1 ). The key duties are as follows:
- Ensure preparedness measures for procurement are implemented before an emergency.
- Make recommendations to the CD/SMT on emergency procedures and thresholds (preferably pre-established during the EPP process).
- Activate emergency procedures and thresholds pre-established during the EPP process.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Emergency Procurement Unit.
- Coordinate activities with emergency staff (programme, logistics, administration and finance)
- Ensure donor compliance.
- Provide training to new staff.
- Ensure that all procurement policies and procedures are followed.
- Review/approve all requests for quotations.
- Review all Summary of Bid Analysis.
- Liaise with logistics, clearing/forwarding agents and vendors.
- Coordinate with HR to hire additional staff, if necessary.
- Ensure proper orientation and training are provided to newly hired personnel.
- Provide ongoing verbal and written updates to management and other emergency team members.
- Undertake market survey of emergency items as identified by the programme.
- Determine the source of supplies-local or overseas markets.
- Ensure what the donor restrictions and details specification for goods/services from programme.
- Check with CARE USA Procurement to advise on master contracts already available.
- Arrange for pre-supply agreements with local/global vendors/manufacturers.
- Check with CARE International or the Emergency and Humanitarian Assistance Team (EHAT) of CARE Atlanta, on the availability of pre-positioned stocks from the Supply Chain Consortium warehouses-such as the types and quantities that may be available.
- Prepare necessary bid documents for publication/distribution to prospective vendors.
- Undertake vendor screening/reviews (new, temporary).
- Scrutinise vendors for donor compliance, using EPLS, Bridger World Tracker, etc.
- Prepare all Summary of Bid Analyses.
- Finalise contracts with vendors and service providers.
- Ensure all procurement steps are documented and filed.