5.3.1 Formula to estimate the number of vehicles required
- How many tonnes must be moved, and by when?
- How long will the vehicles take to bring a load from the delivery point to the reception point and return? Do not overestimate the speed, and include loading and unloading time.
- Add 25% extra time for contingencies.
- What load capacity do the vehicles have?
Number of possible trips per vehicle = Period in hours
Duration back and forth
Number of loads = Total number of tonnes
Number of vehicles = Number of loads
Number of possible trips/vehicles
- This table is based on the weight of the load. However, you must also take into account the volume of the load.
- If vehicles of different load capacity are used in the operation, the estimate should be recalculated for each vehicle.
If supplies are going to different destinations, each destination requires its own calculation.