7. Logistics collaboration
- The Logistics Cluster is working to improve the surge capacity of the humanitarian actors by strengthening logistics preparedness and response. (See Chapter 40 Humanitarian coordination, for more information about coordination clusters.)
- The Logistics Cluster strives to build up interagency interoperability and collaboration to enhance predictability, timeliness and efficiency of operations to meet beneficiaries’ needs.
- The Logistics Cluster identifies and addresses logistics gaps in humanitarian operations and ensures that they are appropriately addressed.
- When the Logistics Cluster is activated in a country of operation, it is essential to attend coordination meetings to be updated on the logistics situation and to be able to use the logistics services in place for the humanitarian actors.
- In response to the evolution of a new humanitarian architecture and the increased accountability of the cluster approach, the UNJLC functions have now been absorbed into the deliverable of the Global Logistics Cluster ensuring that the core competencies are maintained (GIS, info management, cargo prioritization, CIMIC). The UNJLC entity doesn’t exist anymore and all services provided in the past by UNJLC are now under the responsibility of the Logistics cluster.
The United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot (UNHRD) is a WFP network able to deliver humanitarian relief items worldwide within 24 to 48 hours. The network provides storage, logistics support and services to UN humanitarian agencies, international humanitarian organizations, and governmental and non-governmental organizations, thus reinforcing capacity for humanitarian emergency response. CARE is a partner of the UNHRD, and we can store emergency items and have access to the donors’ stock available for partner agencies. This system is based on replenishment of the items used either in cash or in kind. For information on the UNHRD visit http://www.unhrd.org/. To request access to supplies from the UNHRD please contact CARE international logistics focal point firstname.lastname@example.org.