2. Critical steps in proposal writing
- Ensure there is sufficient, experienced and dedicated proposal writing capacity in place to produce a large quantity of good quality proposals within very short time frames.
- Understand that the proposal is an important project design, management and accountability tool, as well as a fundraising tool.
- Coordinate effectively with other emergency team members, including assessment teams and support units to secure inputs to the proposal and budget.
- Coordinate with the supporting CARE Member to seek guidance on donor requirements and the proposal submission processes.
- Make efficient and effective use of the support available from the CARE Member
- Together with the relevant CARE Member, manage donor relations carefully to make sure proposal requirements are clear and to present CARE’s project positively.
- Align all proposals with the programme strategy to ensure funding is directed to highest priorities.
- Circulate brief, general concept papers as quickly as possible to help with fundraising.
- Use the correct donor formats for proposals (as well as needed annexes) and follow the instructions closely.
- Follow good design principles to ensure the proposal represents an appropriate and quality intervention that is relevant to the humanitarian needs.
- Clearly identify the needs for co-funding.
- Ensure the proposal is well presented and demonstrates CARE’s capacity.
- Prepare budgets, check for accuracy and ensure all necessary programme (implementation, monitoring and evaluation), support and administrative costs are included.
- Ensure coherence between the different documents (budget, proposals and annexes).
- Submit proposals on time in coordination with the supporting CARE Member. Also, in accordance with both the Lead Member and supporting member, review and approve policies.
- Track proposals using the project pipeline matrix so that information about their status and the overall pipeline is available.
- Ensure that the Proposal Writer documents and files all critical information, and provides a handover to the implementation team