5.8 Ensure controls at the time of packing and arrival
Before sending the supplies:
- the sender has to make sure the packaging is strong enough for transportation and handling
- the sender and carrier (or representatives) have to be present during the loading
- for contracted transport, the sender has to carefully verify the identification of the carrier and registration of the vehicle
- the sender has to prepare all necessary documentation before the loading
- all this information has to be mentioned on the delivery note.
When receiving a consignment:
- check the documentation (delivery note, external order form or purchase order)
- check the quantity and quality (damaged goods, strange smell or aspect, torn parcels, etc.)
- notify the transporter of any discrepancy
- send appropriate receiving documents to the sender
- ensure proper records are kept of all transport operations
- keep clear and well-documented files on all ongoing transport operations and archives.