3.2.1 Sample checklist: How to protect refugees during the asylum period
- Help refugees organise themselves.
- Help ensure that the layout, location and infrastructure of the camp are designed to protect camp residents (for example, that latrines, water and fuel collection points, medical facilities, etc. are within easy and safe access to all, and that camps are well lit).
- Alert refugees to their rights and responsibilities under national and local laws.
- Foster dialogue between the refugee community and local population.
- Ensure women are included as initial points of contact for emergency and longer-term food distribution.
Source: Adapted from Annex 31.8 Protecting refugees: A field guide for NGOs