9.2 Key questions and strategy format
Based on an assessment of available evidence and realities on the ground, the basic questions that must be answered when developing an advocacy strategy are:
- What is/are the key humanitarian problem(s)?
- What are the goals and objectives for advocacy to resolve the problem(s)?
- What are the target audiences at the local, national and international levels that have the power to resolve the problem(s)?
- Who are the main allies and opponents of CARE and partners’ recommendations?
- What are the key messages for concrete action by the target audiences, as well as the tools and actions / tactics for delivering these messages?
The following format is a useful guide to develop and document the advocacy strategy. It is adapted from Annex 11.5 Template for planning an advocacy strategy (Oxfam International).