4. What not to do: Do no harm and other common mistakes!
- Don’t ignore negative impacts that relief actions may bring to ecosystem services communities depend upon. It is often impossible or very challenging to undo damage done.
- Decisions taken at the beginning of relief operations have a large impact on how response will be organised. Problems may get ‘locked in’ early in response. Don’t ignore the environment in the beginning of the response phase.
- Don’t ignore potential synergies with livelihoods, resilience/ DRR/ CCA, protection and gender that incorporating environmental issues into programming may bring.
- Don’t ignore that societal harm brought by CARE in a relief operation may expose CARE to negative perception by society, donors and other stakeholders and financial liabilities