5.1 Pre-arrival tasks and responsibilities
The CO and the Deploying Member must implement a number of critical steps in pre-departure planning to ensure a safe and speedy deployment for a new staff member travelling from one country location to another to the emergency environment. These critical steps are listed in section 5.1.1, which also outlines the roles and responsibilities of the CO and National Member in this process.
|The receiving Country Office must:
||The Deploying Member must:
- Request selected staff member to complete ‘Arrival form’ before departure. This form requires personal and passport details.
- Issue a ‘Letter of invitation’ to the staff member prior to their departure. This is required by immigration authorities and embassies on occasion.
- Facilitate the visa processing requirements. This may include defining the most efficient process-that is, visa on arrival, business or tourism, duration of visa, etc.
- Prepare a CO ‘Visitor briefing kit’ to inform staff members of critical information to prepare them for their arrival in the country. This briefing kit contains emergency contact numbers, a list of personal items and equipment that staff is required to bring, critical security matters, overview of the emergency environment and country information. A brief version containing essential information can be used before the CO has time to gather full details to complete the kit. This information kit should be forwarded to the CI Emergency Human Resources Coordinator and all National Member Human Resources Units.
- Issue a laminated CARE identification card to the staff member upon arrival.
- Arrange for staff pick-up at airport.
- Arrange accommodation.
- Arrange telecommunications capability, including internet access and mobile phones/SIM cards.
- Prepare information for security briefings and operations planning briefings upon staff arrival.*
- Advise of essential/personal supplies that may need to be organised by the staff member before departure to the field.
- Issue employment contract or contract variation, and terms of reference as agreed by all parties.
- Provide brief on terms and conditions, including per diem policy and R&R entitlements.
- Ensure visa requirements and travel schedule is organised. Where air travel is involved, allow a 3-6 month period for open economy return airfares to ensure flexibility, as travel plans may be subject to change.
- Ensure staff member has completed medical checks and vaccinations are up to date.
- Activate the Emergency Personnel Support Programme, in particular coordinate the pre-assignment briefing before departure for the field.
- Activate insurance provisions and ensure full compliance with minimum standard including travel, health and medivac (SOS), and war risk requirements.
- Coordinate pre-departure administration requirements including cash advances and currency transactions where needed.
- Ensure the staff member has received:
- letter of invitation from the CO
- CO visitor briefing kit
- on-arrival pick-up details
- accommodation arrangements
- CO emergency contact numbers.
- Provide the staff member with a safety and security brief relevant to their assignment before departure.
- Provide any available and relevant written materials on the emergency environment and country location-for example, sitreps, programme summary sheets, etc. Provide information on known conditions (accommodation, food, living and working conditions).
- Inform the staff member of any personal supplies or equipment that they should travel with-for example, laptop computer, radios, etc.
- Update personal details on file including emergency/next of kin contact details.
- Provide staff member with emergency contact numbers at National Member level.
- Update staff member on latest relevant HR policies and procedures manuals.
|* Refer to Chapter 14 Safety and security, to ensure security briefings are thoroughly prepared and fully meet the requirements of the assignment.
Annex 21.11 Pre-departure/deployment checklist
Annex 21.12 Record of emergency data form
Annex 21.13 ID card-template
Annex 21.27 Arrival form
Annex 21.28 Letter of invitation
Annex 21.29 Country Office visitor briefing kit
Annex 21.30 Country Office visitor briefing kit CARE Pakistan sample