7.1 Working with the Logistics Cluster
- The Logistics Cluster is working to improve the surge capacity of the humanitarian actors by strengthening logistics preparedness and response. (See Chapter 40 Humanitarian coordination, for more information about coordination clusters.)
- The Logistics Cluster strives to build up interagency interoperability and collaboration to enhance predictability, timeliness and efficiency of operations to meet beneficiaries’ needs.
- The Logistics Cluster identifies and addresses logistics gaps in humanitarian operations and ensures that they are appropriately addressed.
- When the Logistics Cluster is activated in a country of operation, it is essential to attend coordination meetings to be updated on the logistics situation and to be able to use the logistics services in place for the humanitarian actors.
- In response to the evolution of a new humanitarian architecture and the increased accountability of the cluster approach, the UNJLC functions have now been absorbed into the deliverable of the Global Logistics Cluster ensuring that the core competencies are maintained (GIS, info management, cargo prioritization, CIMIC). The UNJLC entity doesn’t exist anymore and all services provided in the past by UNJLC are now under the responsibility of the Logistics cluster.