3.1 First 48 hours fundraising checklist
To ensure CARE is well positioned to secure funding, ensure the following tasks are completed as soon as possible (within 24-48 hours) after the emergency has been declared:
- Send out an emergency alert.
- Agree initial fundraising targets on first CCG call.
- Prepare and issue an initial appeal and strategy document that highlights CARE’s fundraising targets and decision to respond.
- Request funding from the CI ERF to start the response.
- Send critical fundraising information to CEG for circulation
- initial appeal and emergency strategy document
- photos showing the context of the emergency
- dollar handles (see section 7.2 )
- human interest stories and quotes
- gender in brief.
- Ask CARE Members to help by:
- activating private fundraising mechanisms including launching an appeal and contacting private donors
- investigating potential funding opportunities with their key institutional donors
- advising the CO of potential funding opportunities, including estimated amounts, timelines for submission of proposals and area of focus
- sending appropriate and latest proposal format and any other instructions, such as contact details of the donor representative in the country.
Annex 7.1 is a two-page checklist that can be posted on the wall in a CO as a reminder of the fundraising requirements in the first 24-48 hours of an emergency.