10.4 Information sources
Make use of as many available information sources as possible. By seeking information from many different sources, the assessment team can cross-reference different responses to determine the best single estimate or conclusion and avoid bias. This is called ‘triangulation’ of data.
Key sources of information include:
- disaster-affected communities
- Leaders, vulnerable groups, women, health workers, school teachers, institutions, community based organisations, youth, etc.
- local government representatives and offices
- local and international NGOs and coordinating bodies
- UN agencies
- Humanitarian Information Centres
- donor agencies
- local and international news media
- suppliers and commercial organisations