4.1 Confirming staff safety immediately following an emergency or disaster
1. Ensure that you and your immediate surroundings are safe.
2. Attend to the immediate medical needs you or anyone near you has.
3. Take all measures necessary to move away from the danger zone.
4. Establish lines of communications by phone, satellite or radio with the person in charge of security or the CD, and activate the CO emergency phone tree if it is in place.
5. Contact other CARE offices and personnel for an update on their situation.
6. Assess the status of CARE personnel’s (or dependants’) safety, location, needs and communication line; and establish a next time of contact.
7. Initiate any assistance required for yourself or other CARE personnel/family members.
8. Notify responsible staff at CO level or the Lead Member with an immediate incident report.
9. Activate Critical Incident Management Team or Emergency protocols.